Boat - Vessel Overview
My trusty sailboat, Squiz, is a 1988 Tayana 37. This solid
boat is capable of safely cruising almost anywhere in the world.
The general vessel specifications are provided below. If you are
interested in detail about how she was equiped, read the detailed
feature descriptions and view the boat
- Length on Deck: 36' 8"
- Length Overall: 42' 2"
- Length at Waterline: 30' 10"
- Beam: 11' 6"
- Draft: 5' 8"
- Displacement: 22,500 lbs. (dry)
- Ballast (Internal): 7,340 lbs.
- Basic Sail Configuration: Cutter (one mast and three standard sails,
about 900 square feet total sail area)
- Engine: 48 HP Diesel Perkins 4-108
- Fuel Tankage: 90 gallons
- Water Tankage: 100 gallons
- Vertical Clearance: about 55 feet above the waterline (57' including VHF antenna)
- Designer: Robert (Bob) Perry
- Manufacturer: Ta Yang Yacht Building Co.
- US Coast Guard Documentation #938415
- Hailing Port: Portland, Oregon
The basic shape and sail plan of a Tayana 37 cutter
is shown below. However, s/v Squiz is equipped with extra gear to make sailing more enjoyable and long-term cruising possible.
The interior layout is similar to, but not exactly like, the
layout illustrated below.